Sunday, January 1, 2012

Where does one day end and the next begin?

The first day of 2012.  Well it really started the night before with a great dinner at Buca di Beppo with my wife and friends.  Thanks Laura, Cameron, Rebecca, Joe and Wendy.  This seems to have become a tradition as we returned for the second year in a row.  We've missed our friends Ron and Rhonda...maybe we can convince them that Fort Bragg is not as much fun?  After dinner we had a group of folks over to the house to play a few games.  I know someone recorded me dancing to one of the Wii dance party games.  I hope that does not become viral on youtube.  I'm definitely not auditioning for "So You Think You Can Dance?"

What seemed like a short nights rest, became a long day at church.  For those not familiar with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints or LDS Church, we are organized geographically and everyone that lives within marked boundaries meets at a designated time in a "Branch" or "Ward".  Our Ward meets at 1 PM now.  People either love it or hate it, but however you feel, this will be the start of our three hours meetings for the year.  We start with Sacrament Meeting, where we have announcements, church business and partake of the sacrament (some religions refer to it as the Holy Communion).  Then we typically hear from two or three speakers who are members of the congregation and have been asked to speak on a specific subject.  It was a great meeting and I really felt the spirit today.  Not sure why I was so lucky?

The topics spoken on today were, "What does it mean, I am Trying to be like Jesus?" and "Based on the Song - Nephi's Courage CS 120, What is our Modern Day Command?"


My assignment as the Bishop of the Ward means that I get to start a little earlier.  I have meetings with individuals and groups starting at 8AM to 1PM and then finishing up around 5PM depending on who is there to help wrap up the day.  I sure was missing my counselors today as I sat pretty much by myself on the stand conducting sacrament meeting.  I almost wished that someone would have just come up and sat by me.  It probably would have been a little unorthodox, but I wouldn't have been upset.  I spoke to someone who has been having a rough time of late and she said, "You looked lonely, I was hoping one of your kids would have at least come up."

I guess I really could go on and on...but I better get sleep for our Temple Day tomorrow in Sacramento.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Great idea! You have so many wonderful thoughts and words of wisdom that I know many will benefit from this.

    ReplyDelete