Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Where do you draw the line?

Today was stressful and overwhelming.  Coming back from a weekend, vacation or holiday, I often fall into the mindset of needing to get caught up NOW.  For some weird reason I try and convince myself that within a day I can do more than a days work?  I like the concept that goes something like this, "Work never ends...if it did...it is really only a project."  I think there is wisdom in that.  I guess work could be classified as a bunch of projects or routine transactions, but they are not meant to all get completed at the same time.

Mondays are always filled with prior weeks reporting of sales, starts and closings.  Since our corporate headquarters is located on the right coast, we left coasters are punished in my opinion.  We have an 8:15 am PST deadline.  I like to brag that we must be smarter and more efficient as we can report our information within 15 minutes of the start of our work day, but the east coast gets an extra three hours.  They never seem to find the humor in that, but it never stops me from reminding them.  The reality is someone comes in an hour early to make sure we can meet that deadline.

Not sure what happen this year but schools have taken an extra week off or the timing seems like the holiday is still in full effect.  We still have a number of associates out so I have tried to do my best to pull up the slack.  Normally I can sweat it out a day or so, but I sure felt like I was treading water all day.  We jump right into month end close (first month of our new fiscal year), schedules for a meeting tomorrow and early next week.  We also switched our check run to a new cut off (Wed 8 am EST)...I don't have to say much more than we get it in the night before.

There were moments today when I just felt like grabbing my keys and walking out the door, never to return.  It sometimes feels like that will take away the pain or we can really abandon the situation.  Yeah, I might get some temporary relief, but probably longer lasting consequences and not of the good kind.  Be anxiously engaged in a good cause...how about too many?  King Benjamin wrote, "And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order".  (Mosiah 4:27).  So sometimes, we need to give ourselves a time out and liken the scriptures unto ourselves.  This too shall pass.

The work will be there tomorrow because I have lots of projects to do!

1 comment: