Monday, January 2, 2012

Run / Temple Day

Not sure how you measure a successful day?  I've given some thought about what I wanted to accomplish and what was realized.  I'm not a big planner or list maker.  I had three things on my unwritten list:  go for a run, put away all Christmas decorations and go to the temple.  I accomplished 2/3rds, so it was not a total failure.  I got up at 8:30 AM for a run and and went to the Sacramento Temple around 1 PM.  Yeah, 8:30...what a lazy guy.  That's actually about as much as I can sleep in these days.  I guess years of marriage and kids prevents anything later.

I haven't run much since the marathon in November, which has resulted in weight gain (probably due to all the goodies) and lack of exercise during the holidays.  I started a few weeks ago telling people that I was going to exercise more.  This gives me accountability, although I still have to do something about it.  I always hope others will ask or bring it up giving me that extra boost.  That's really why I post my runs on the Nike+ website and Facebook.  Not bragging, just looking for reinforcement.  I think it is important to let others know your goals.  Sometimes I plan to run at lunch so I will bring my workout bag to the office.  Co-workers will ask if I plan to run at lunch.  Of course I can't let them down.  Some think I really have a running bug or get a "runners high".  Not really.  I don't actually enjoy running unless I'm playing tennis or soccer, but it has helped with my slow metabolism.  I have run some cool trails and look forward to exploring more.  Someone said to me a week ago or so that "I was lucky to have a marathon body".  Not so lucky and it has taken me three years to shed 25 lbs, but I've been able to keep it off.  Of course I could probably accomplish more if I maintained a strict diet.

Running has also helped me set goals of self mastery and stretch them.  One of my unwritten goals for 2012 is to run 1200 miles.  This is an average of 100 miles a month or 25 a week, which is totally doable.  But they say a goal unwritten is only a wish.  I let everyone know what I decide.

I guess you can talk too much about running.  I drove my wife nuts talking about all the people I saw running or pointing out what trails and streets I have run on our way to the temple.  I was just sharing my accomplishments, places if you have to run that can provide enjoyment and of course to keep her motivated!

I did manage to take down the first story lights and get down all the storage boxes, but far from putting everything away.  I guess tomorrow and the next day we will hit it again.

The highlight by far had to be attending the temple.  Our stake reserved the afternoon, a tradition we have been doing for a few years in a row now.  What a better day to start out the year, no?  Since it is not open on Sunday's the first of the year really was the second.  It was nice to see so many familiar faces.  Especially when you move from room to room, which has symbolism, to all end up in the same room is the ultimate goal.

1 comment:

  1. Yes you were driving me nuts, but I love your passion and drive to better yourself and better others (especially me!). You know I never would have accomplished my running goals if I wasn't working beside you. You continually inspire me and your example encourages me. I did a my shred video this morning!

    ReplyDelete